Thursday, September 24, 2009

Fostering Growth & Development in Children Here & Abroad

I'm taking an online course to get my preschool teacher certification in Massachusetts. I'm a social worker in a Head Start preschool. We have 110 one through five year-olds, and our mission is to serve the low-income, highest risk children in our local community. I love my job, and I am hoping the things I am learning about childrens' growth in this job, will help me as I explore how to help our friends in Africa.

So the class I am taking is called Child Growth and Development, and several of my assignments include observing a child for 20 minutes and recording, in detail, the child's actions and interactions with others. This morning I observed one particular child with the teacher. Now, I observe children everyday... it's a huge part of my job to assess growth and development, as well as mental health and any other concerns that arise. However, this morning I was especially struck by the interactions this child was having with the teacher. It was early in the morning, and so only a few children were in the room. The teacher was able to provide some one-on-one time with this child. As she asked him questions, I felt like I was watching him learn right in front of me.

As I watched, I thought about the schools I visited in Zimbabwe, and the children and families I met there. Many children had loving and caring parents or other caregivers that could provide this kind of one-on-one support and learning, but we met many others who could not. Parents who so desperately wanted to provide emotional care for their child, to teach them to cook, or farm, or read, but who were too sick or too emotionally drained from their own grief and pain to adequately provide for their children. And then there were the children who did not have a parent left at all to provide that role. In many communities Forgotten Voices is providing school fees so children can be attending school on a regular basis and receive support from their teacher and education. Volunteers are trained to visit the children in their homes, to be listening ear to the parents or the children, to help the children be successful.

How can we better help these children and families in Zimbabwe and Zambia receive that extra support that they need for healthy growth and development? Not only was the child in the classroom this morning learning about colors and learning new words, but he was developing self-esteem, and developing social skills that will help him be successful in the future. This is the goal we are working toward now in the next steps of Forgotten Voices. The more I think about my trip, the more excited I am about the intersection of my professional life here in the United States with my deep desire to advance the mission of Forgotten Voices personally, and the opportunity to trust in God to see how he can use me next. This is what I am running for. This is what I am praying about. Please see the side bar on this blog to learn how you can support me through prayers and financial giving. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment